Saturday 26 October 2019

Meet Joe Black

It's been over 20 years since "Meet Joe Black" starring Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins was released. 


My memory of first watching this film was that I saw it in the Savoy Cinema on O'Connell street, with my twin sister. It was so long that they had an interval, even though films weren't generally shown with an interval as had been done in the past. Come to think of it, intervals really were a great thing. They were sociable, you could chat about the film and see how your companion was enjoying it, or you could visit the bathroom for a comfort break (always a good thing) or you could stock up on some more goodies if you had eaten all your ice cream or popcorn - presumably this was good for business so I wonder why cinema's stopped having intervals.

Anyway, I digress, back to Meet Joe Black which is now on Netflix and we started watching it on Thursday evening but it was so long that we took an interval and started back watching it last night.

It's a funny thing watching a film again with 20 years of life on you!

There were so many details I noticed in this film that I don't think I appreciated when I watched it on the big screen the first time.  Namely, the art, the interior design, the food, the music.....but mainly the art.

So many scenes featured (as well as the talented actors) the most incredible art works ranging from Rothko to Kandinsky to Cezanne and many many more. 

The use of the artwork was very clever, one reason it featured was to indicate what type of man the main protagonist was - i.e. Bill Parrish was a worldly classy man who appreciated the finer things in life but additionally the art work added so much to particular scenes.  For example when Bill is addressing his board there is the most amazing brightly coloured art work behind him while behind the board members there is a drab bland wood panelled wall. Due to the background of art, Bill presents as a dynamic progressive man with vision while his board appear to be dour charmless "suits". It's amazing what art can do!

I really rate "Meet Joe Black", it's an incredible love story and it really has stood the test of time - I hope you get to see it and if you do, look out for the art!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think