Monday 21 December 2020

It's Christmas week in Spain......and it is oh so quiet

 A quiet Christmas 2020

It's been an unusual year and it is turning in to an unusual Christmas. All over the world people are not having the Christmas that they probably expected at the beginning of 2020. But as we all know as Covid took hold all our plans for big events and holidays fell to the wayside.

Literally in the last 24 hours, many people in the UK have had the rug pulled from underneath them as a new fast spreading strain of covid has caused lots of countries to close their borders to travellers from the UK. This probably has most impact on Irish people as many live and work in the UK but had intended to get home for Christmas...but now unfortunately this is not to be.

For my family there has been some changes to Christmas celebrations this year with my younger sister in The Netherlands cancelling her plans to travel home while my twin sister in USA and me in Spain, never even seriously considered travelling back to Ireland given the unfolding situation over the past year. And so it will be a quiet day in my parents house with just my younger sister travelling from Galway to stay with them. My sister works in IT so has been working remotely even before Covid, so it is very safe for her to visit with my parents. And they will then go to my older sisters house for Christmas dinner with her family. 

A quiet safe Christmas for all of the family and hopefully then we can all see each other next Christmas time in 2021.

For the two of us here in Malaga we have been having a quiet time enjoying such things as the lights on Larios and taking the dog for walks in the city in the mild weather. It's been blissful but at times does not feel like it is Christmas. 

On Saturday I went for a "Christmas Lunch" with two of my colleagues from the Charity Shop that I volunteer in. I really enjoyed this and I have to say it felt very normal.

Christmas Plans


We've also been planning what we would like to get up to and what we want to eat on Christmas day - let's just say given the year we have had my number 1 plan is to start the day with a mimosa so tomorrow I will go buy a bottle of proseco and some orange juice!

Irish artist Pigsy pictured enjoying coffee with his dog on Calle Larios in Malaga, Spain

Yesterday we stopped off for a coffee in nice spot on Calle Larios. We had a lovely time, chatting away and people watching. I love these small pleasures in life!

Feliz Navidad to y'all and stay well!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think