Sunday 23 July 2017

"Room" at the Abbey Theatre, Dublin

While I was on lunch in work yesterday, I received a text from my sister asking what time were we meeting before going to "Room" in the Abbey.

What!!!

I had completely forgotten that we had made plans!

But there was no issue, I assured her I would cycle directly to her apartment from work. We could have drinks and something to eat there and then make our way to the theatre.

And so that is what we did!

 "Room" started out as a book by Emma Donoghue and then was adapted in to a film and now is a play.

Here I am ordering drinks for us at the bar - ignore my luminous yellow cycling jacket!!

When we entered the theatre, we found our seats near the front. I have said this before but it is worth reiterating - I don't think there is a bad seat to be found in the Abbey. I always end up in the cheaper seats and have never had a bad view of the stage.


What a play.

It was harrowing to watch in so many different parts but was handled so sensitively. It was real, it was raw and it was a very difficult watch at times. But it was also uplifting and hopeful quite possibly due to the spirit of Jack and his Ma because of her desire to get him out of Room.

The crescendo at the end of the first half left us with tears in our eyes and a lump in my throat as the curtain went down. I could not wait to get back in and see the second half.

The next part of the play was just as good as the first part and as we left the theatre we both agreed that it was one of the best plays we had seen. Everything was done so well, the script, the staging and most importantly the acting. It was a phenomenal production and if you get the chance to see it you should definitely go.


Pre-ordered interval drinks are the best.  They are a small pleasure in life :-) 

Thanks Amy for a wonderful night and tickets to a great play!

1 comment:

  1. I read the book, then saw the movie, but I haven't seen the play! I didn't even know it was one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think