Sunday 29 January 2023

An unexpected flying, fleeting, visit to Key West

Unexpectedly I arranged a trip to Key West (at very short notice) to visit with my sister.

It was a week long holiday that I packed loads in to and had a great time with Amy. Having found brilliant flights with United (Dublin-Newark-Key West) for a reasonable cost, it was a no brainer to go, once I had secured the annual leave approval from work.

As usual, the very first thing that I do on Key West trips is head to Cuban Coffee Queen for my first coffee on the island. Excellent as usual and I love the vibe of the coffee hangout - so I visited between 7am and 8am every day for the rest of the week.

Roosters and coffee always put a smile on my face!

Some of things I got up to on the visit included catching crab with Amy on her boat. Her and her husband had baited them and laid them out the week before so we just had to pull them in and take the claw off any crabs that were big enough. When we got home we then were able to enjoy the fruits of our labour and ate crab claws with prosecco along with a delicious lime mustard sauce made by Amy.

Is that one of the biggest crab claws you have ever seen?! And tasted so good!

The weather was changeable but I did get to spend a day at the beach - but more importantly I got out fishing on The Salty Goat with Captain Dan and First Mate Greg. It was a great day - we went to the Gulf of Mexico and we were on the fish!! 
Later that evening Amy cooked up the fish with 2 different seasonings. Seriously there is nothing better than eating the fish that you just caught that day. It's one of my favourite things in life.


It was lucky that I went fishing on the day that I did as there was no fishing the next day due to the weather.

Other things we got up to included, enjoying happy hour eats and other great food, including of course Key Lime Pie. We did happy hour in Aonzo's Half Shell Raw Bar and Martins, along with having sushi at Thai Island. I also stopped in for a drink (and the atmosphere) in Green Parrot Bar (my fave!) and First Flight (the former Kelly's).




My last full day was cooler so what did I do, only visit firstly the Tennesee Williams Museum and then the awesome Tropic Movie Theatre on Eaton Street
Tennessee Williams lived in Key West from the 1950's to about the 1980's and it was fun to see his Key West Library card!
On my last evening, we stopped at Dairy Queen which was fun. The DQ is in a historic 1950's building - too cute.


With my flight going at lunchtime it was great to squeeze in one last thing on my final day (Saturday) with Amy and I stopping off at a yard sale on the way home from Cuban Coffee Queen, what fun!

All in all a really super time in Key West with quality time spent with my twin sister (and her model cat, Buddy!). 

I have to admit that I was teary at the airport as I turned to go through security. I was sad to be leaving but hopefully I will get back soon. This was a bonus trip that I never expected so I have to be glad about that. It has set me up for January 2023 and I only have to work a week before I am off for the new St Brigid's bank holiday next weekend.

Thanks Amy for a great time and brilliant memories. Til next time.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think