Saturday 4 February 2023

Book Review: "The Light Pirate" by Lily Brooks-Dalton

Book Recomendation - "The Light Pirate" by Lily Brooks-Dalton

On my recent trip from Ireland to visit my sister in the USA, she recommended a book to me called "The Light Pirate" by Lily Brookes-Dalton. My sister had discovered the book by attending an author event in Books & Books in Key West.  Books & Books store founder Judy Blume (yes!!) was in attendance and gave glowing praise for the book, saying she doesn't normally read post apocalyptical novels but that she really enjoyed this book.

When I had finished reading the book my sister mentioned it being a read for young adults, this was not something I picked up on at the time of reading. But looking back now, it is probably a book that would interest older young adults, perhaps 15 years plus.  In my opinion, while an easy read, the subject matter could be too harrowing for younger people.

So that brings me to the subject matter, which is in essence, what happens when the power goes out. Specifically in Florida where the central character is based. The protagonist and central character being Wanda who was born in the middle of a hurricane and is named after said hurricane. 

As we know Florida has always experienced huge weather events and now sea levels are beginning to rise. Brooks-Dalton writes about a family and how they are torn apart by these weather events and the effect the weather has on all of those who live in the areas that experience the catastrophic weather events. It is not just Florida with hurricanes but California with rising temperatures which leads to fires and other catastrophies. It should be noted that me calling this "weather events" somewhat minimises what is going on, and also possibly casts mankind as victims in these natural occurences - please be aware that I don't believe that they are natural events and unfortunately they are our doing with our over reliance and use of non-renewable energy and our abuse of natural resources. Humans through our excessive behaviours have caused climate warming and global changes and these are the results. We are no innocent victims in this scenario.

Ultimately, the book maps out terrifying scenarios where homes and towns are devastated and people lose their loved ones to tragedies and have to move away from everything they know to find safe areas to live. It is a deeply sad story in parts but yet there is some hope.  The resiliance of humans is shown and that is something that we will always have.

It's a beautifully written story and very gripping. I read it on a Florida beach while sunbathing (how apt!) and with only two chapters to go I had to leave the beach as I had got too much sun. However, I stopped at a small pocket park close to the beach and sat under the shade of a tree in order to finish the book - it's that good!!


If you are looking for a good read by, I have no doubt, an upcoming and soon to be successful author, do yourself a favour and buy a copy of The Light Pirate from your local bookstore, or borrow from the library.  And hey if your local library doesn't have it in stock, make sure you make a suggestion for purchase!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think