Saturday 7 June 2014

John Ford Ireland Symposium

Last night we went to the opening night of the John Ford Ireland symposium.  In attendance was John Wayne's daughter Marissa.  Ms. Wayne spoke first and told of the relationship between Ford and Wayne.  After Wayne's daughter finished speaking, Dan Ford the grandson of John Ford said a few words.

And then the screening of "Stage Coach" began - this film is possibly the film that launched the career of John Ford and John Wayne.

I am not a fan of Western movies but I did enjoy watching this film.  I was also intrigued by the fact that the sheriff rode beside the driver with his shot gun to look out for Indians.  As he got on the coach he said "I'll ride shotgun".  I guess this is where "calling shotgun" comes from!!  Interesting!

The event took place in the main screen of the Savoy Cinema.  We have not been in this theatre for years and both of us remarked how well it looked and that it had a very opulent feel to it (I wish I had taken pictures of the chandeliers in the lobby.

My sister had won tickets for this event on Facebook but had another engagement so she could not attend.  We were delighted to attend in her place.  Thanks Amy!










1 comment:

  1. Tell Amy to win tickets to Lady Gaga next time !!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think