Friday 1 July 2016

My new Dutch Bike!

I picked up my new bike today!!

I'm in love with it!

It's a Dutch Heavy Duty Gazelle Bike with a carrier on the back and front of the bike.  On the front is a crate to cart around my dog or to carry shopping etc. 

You may also note that there are 3 locks on my bike - I don't think this is overkill - I'd hate for it to get stolen.  One of the locks comes fitted on the bike (the Dutch style back wheel clamp) and I spent a good percentage of the bike cost on the other two locks.




I decided to go for a black bike as I think it suits Dublin best. As you saw from the bike I had in Key West for my holiday I do like brightly coloured beautiful bikes but somehow I think they wouldn't look as nice if they were being ridden in dull Dublin.

My bike was fairly expensive (but is excellent quality so should last for years) but actually won't cost me the full price because I bought it under the Government "Bike to Work Scheme" where you are given tax relief on the cost of the bike.  It's a great scheme - you can read more about it here.

Tomorrow I will be cycling to the train station, getting on the train with the bike (allowable outside of peak hours), getting off and then cycling the rest of the short way to work. Hopefully it won't be raining as I haven't bought rain gear yet!!!



I purchased my bike in the Dutch Bike Shop and I highly recommend them.  They really know their stuff and have a fantastic selection of bikes.  Their after sales service is also very impressive - my bike is to go back to them for a tune up in 5 weeks and they then give a full guarantee for a year and I was advised that I should bring back the bike if there are any issues though they anticipate there will be none. These Dutch Bikes are seriously good quality.

Watch this space to see how I get on with my biking adventures!

1 comment:

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think