Tuesday 20 August 2019

People's Park, Dun Laoghaire

On Saturday, I took a wander in to the People's Park in Dun Laoghaire on my lunch break. I thought the Ukulele Hooley Festival was on and was looking forward to hearing some music.  Unfortunately I had it wrong and it was not on on the park - I think there was a busking bus instead of the park event.

Anyway it was a nice day and I enjoyed the walk through the park. It has a nice Victorian feel about it and also there is a lovely Fallon & Byrne tea room in the park.

The park was built in 1890, it seems. They have a very informative plaque on the wall to mark the opening - note that the park was in the township of Kingstown - this was the name of Dun Laoghaire at that time (in honour of King George IV's 1821 visit)



The planting is exceptional and there is a beautiful fountain in the centre of the park. The park itself is in a fantastic location which will be even better when the the restoration of the baths is completed.

Look how gorgeous the tea rooms are - they have a fantastic vista of the park.

The People's Park in Dun Laoghaire is definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think