Monday 5 October 2015

What I am reading....

As usual, I am in the middle of a few different books at one time. My main read at this time is "Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town" by Jon Krakauer. 



I have read and enjoyed a few others by Krakauer, including "Into the Wild" and "Into Thin Air".  Into the Wild was made in to a film starring Emille Hirsch while Into Thin Air loosely influenced the recently released movie "Everest". Everest is about one of the deadliest seasons on Everest in the 1990's - there were two books written about the season from the perspective of two different climbing teams. One of the team members being Jon Krakauer on Rob Hall's team. The other team was led by Russian Anatoli Boukreev who also wrote a book.  I've read Boukreev's book also - both are worth reading and it is interesting to see the two sides to what happened during this time and how the deaths occurred. 

The final book of Jon Krakauer's that I attempted to read was "Under the Banner of heaven".  Normally I enjoy reading books about the Latter Day Saints and Mormonism but I couldn't finish this book as it really did not hold me.

Back to "Missoula" which is pictured above. It's a shocking read. From the beginning it outlines a litany of rapes that have been carried out in the Missoula town area. Most of the rapes are carried out by the same type of young people (athletes and popular college kids) and in the same kind of way. Young women are invited to parties or dates and are plyed with alcohol until they are too intoxicated to give consent to sexual activity and are then sexually assaulted. Further to this they are then let down by the legal system along with a media reaction that does not support the victim but instead rallies around the accused.

It's a difficult book to get through and the subject matter is more than a little distressing in many parts. However, it is a title that I would recommend.  

6 comments:

  1. I have read two of his other books. His writing can be a bit dense so I sometimes struggle with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Spain: interesting two books. keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever get your Kindle fixed ?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think