Saturday 16 May 2015

Canvassing for the Yes Vote


On Friday 22nd Ireland is holding a referendum to extend marriage to all citizens.  I have been promoting a Yes vote from my keyboard but decided the time was right to put myself out on the front line and get out and canvas doorsteps.  

The photo above is of the fantastic group of people that myself and my twin sister canvassed with.  We were a little nervous of how it all would be but we were paired up with some lovely experienced canvassers and we felt confident setting off!

Amy was paired up with a lady and I was matched with a friendly fellow.  We generally got positive responses and and, my canvassing buddy and I, only got shouted at by one man on his doorstep.  We covered Mount Symon and Portersgate Estates in Clonsilla with 400 houses being called to and a further batch of leaflets being delivered to houses that had no one home - it's certainly a case of many hands make light work!

If you are thinking of canvassing, I would say "Go for it"!  It's very interesting and you meet lots of nice people and it only take 2 hours of your time.  I am hoping to get back out on Tuesday evening.  I feel that it is a really worthwhile activity and hopefully all the hard work on the doorsteps will lead to a Yes for Equality next Friday.  It's just too important for it to  fail.

Click here for info on D15 future canvas news



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think