Wednesday 16 July 2014

Salt lick Ranelagh - Japanese Month

When we heard this months food was going to be Japanese inspired in Salt Lick (which pops up in Hobarts in Ranelagh every Friday and Saturday night) we decided we would go again.

The concept is very simple - there is a vegetarian and a meat option for starter and main and then a choice of two desserts.  Two courses costs €25 while three courses costs €30.  

The restaurant is BYOB (bring your own bottle of wine) and BYOC (which is bring your own liquor which they will add to their cocktails).  What a fun concept!

We popped in to the Wine Buff and picked up bottle of wine before making our way to Salt Lick.  We got an Argentinian Malbec which the Wine Buff Ivor said was similar to the French Malbec.

For started we both chose the chicken tempura with Tofu Tempura and pickled mushrooms.  All were just delicious!  I particularly liked the mushrooms which, although had a slug like appearance to them, tasted divine.

For main we had the pork ramen which was very good.  I asked for a spoon for the broth but I was happy to sup from the bowl when our server invited us to do as is the cultural norm so that we could immerse ourselves in the experience!

For dessert we had huge bowls of lemon posset and cold rice pudding with strawberries and seseame brittle.  I adore rice pudding so I was in heaven but Ciaran was not a fan of his posset as it was too liquid.


Most people hand over a naggin or shoulder of vodka for drinks throughout dinner.  We just have 1 after dinner cocktail so we handed up these little baby vodkas.  They only used about two thirds of each bottle so they returned the rest to us - which I promptly poured in to my coke so I could taste the vodka.  Ciaran had a Moscow Mule which he anounced was delicious. 


When I mentioned the name of the restaurant to friends, they sent me a picture of this.  Lol!


Can't wait to hear what next month's theme will be in Salt Lick!!

1 comment:

  1. They should serve venison at the Salt Lick. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think