Thursday 1 March 2018

The "Beast from the East" meets Emma

We are having a once in 10 years weather event here in Ireland. It's snowing and it is coming down heavy.

Two weather events are occurring together. Polar air (Beast from the East) came followed by Storm Emma (named by the Portuguese Weather Service).

The government has issued a Red Alert weather warning with all people to be inside by 4pm today when blizzard like conditions are expected.

It was bitterly cold as I left work yesterday. I was glad I had my full "skin" balaclava that fits all over my head under my hat.

Buses are not running today. Trains are finished at 2pm. Schools are closed along with most workplaces.

The worst is yet to come.

Here are screen grabs from Met Éireann the Irish Meterological Service.
 

Yesterday before work I cleared my pathway and my neighbours along with my newly purchased snow shovel(!) Today I will do the same and then try walk to Ranelagh for a coffee in Butlers - that's if it is open (Edit - just checked their Facebook page - looks like they are open for a few hours in the morning).

To all my Irish readers - stay safe and warm. Look in on elderly neighbours and take care when out walking. If it is safe to clear paths near you the government advice is to do so. Hope you stocked up on the Brennan's Bread!
To all my other readers watch out for further blogs tomorrow about this weather event with lots of snow pics.

Catch you on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think