Sunday 4 March 2018

Goodbye snowy weather, can't say I'm sorry to see you on your way.

Thankfully the big thaw is on here in Ireland the country can get back to normal and also back to work. Most parts of Dublin are fine but other parts of the country are in a bad way - my friend in Kildare sent me a picture of car which is completely hidden by snow.

I was glad to have done some snow prepping last week before it arrived and I was well set when it started. We visited Homebase for Rock Salt, logs and a regular shovel. 


I also bought a snow shovel!! I've never owned one before but it is certainly the tool for the job of clearing pathways. I got my snow shovel in Argos but plan to buy another one with a longer handle in Homebase.


I was also happy to have a good set of snow boots which have been sitting unused for years in my wardrobe. They made walking in the snow so much easier and kept my feet warm and dry.



My boots helped me get to Butlers for a coffee on Thursday (before they closed up at 3pm) and then when they reopened up on Saturday morning.
Bones will be glad to see the back of the snow too. He was not a fan and he missed his daily walks. We will go out walking now and hopefully most of the snow is gone.
All in all, the bad weather was ok for us. We are young(ish) and fit(ish!) and we live close to the city. Our work was shut down but we were able to clear a path on our driveway and walk up to the main street. The shops were closed but we had bought extra food so we had plenty to eat. Also we had logs for the stove and good underfloor heating (as I mentioned in a past blog the electricity went out on Thursday night but we didn't even notice). On the Friday night, friends who live close by invited us for dinner so we walked through the snow to them and had a lovely evening. So as you can see, it was all good really but I am glad it is over and we will be back to work tomorrow.

A big thank you to the National Emergency Coordination Unit who tirelessly kept a handle on the situation and updated us regularly with information bulletins on the television and online. The army were also called upon to deal with particular situations along with Civil Defence providing help throughout the country.

Pictured below is Taoiseach of Ireland Leo Varadkar at one of the updates over the past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think