Monday 4 June 2018

A flying visit to Key West

After visiting Tenerife and having AWFUL weather (the worst in 20 years for that time of year), I decided to make a quick visit to Key West as my mam had rented a house and I knew there would be a bed there for me.

When booking flights, I paid a little extra to go the most direct flight and got a nice set of flights with American Airlines from Dublin to Charlotte and then on to Key West.

Here's a few pics of what I got up to during my 6 day visit.

Here are my aunt's and mother out for a pre-dinner drink in Schooner Wharf bar. Looks like some chickens joined them!
We got the bus to TJ Maxx for a little shopping. At lunchtime we needed a break and a cold drink so we went next door and shared a few apps - including the famous blooming onion!!  

 Every morning I got up and walked to the end of Duval and got a Cuban Coffee Queen. I loved this part of the day and it was possibly one of my favourite things to do.

 There is a new bus service for tourists called the Duval Loop. It is hop on hop off and extremely convenient with very friendly drivers. I used this a lot and ended up not hiring a bike because this service was so good.
On my first day I went out fishing and caught loads of yellow tail and grunts. I then ate fish for brekkie all week.

My younger sisters and I tried a new spot which is Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar. Check out the "Shark Attack" that Lydia got! It is actually a non-alcoholic drink for children and you get to keep the shark. Katie and I visited a second time for Taco Tuesday.


Jet lag had Lydia and up at 6am one morning so we walked to Harpoon Harry's before the sun came up. Our walk took us past Pepes.
I got Key Lime Pie on my last night on Duval Street.......and I may or may not have had a last slice in the airport too!

Sunday means brunch and we favour the Bistro 245 one in Margaritaville. Food is amazing and the mimosa's aren't bad either!

You might be thinking that Key West is a long way to travel from Ireland for only 6 day but quite honestly after a day in this place I feel so relaxed that I can barely remember the 15 hour travelling. It is quite honestly my favourite place in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think