Thursday 17 September 2015

Frank Lloyd Wright - 140 Maiden Lane, San Francisco

Ten years ago, on our last trip to San Francisco, we visited this Frank Lloyd Wright building on Maiden Lane. It was built in 1948 and when you enter you instantly are reminded of the Guggenheim Museum in New York which it was the prototype for.  Originally it was a Gift Shop but when we visited it back in 2005 it was Xanadu Art Gallery.  However, on this visit we found it shut up and we were unable to enter. I see from the Wikipedia page that it has been sold to a high end designer boutique (which was exactly the use that I told Ciaran it would be perfect for while we stood outside and viewed the building).  I'm glad to hear it has been sold and hopefully we will get to view it again in the future!


The above brick detail on the left of the building is phenomenal to look at from the street



Curved glass!

The light features along the building are instantly recognizable as being designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.



I imagine that the tree outside the building was specified by FLW?!



What an incredible building.  It is beyond timeless - I think it is actually getting better with age and looks more modern than a lot of buildings built this decade.

2 comments:

  1. AMAZING BUILDING!!! Thanks for blogging about your visit here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know this building exist. The design is pretty and unique

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think