Tuesday 26 May 2020

Bike Boom 2020

All over Ireland Bike Shops are experiencing massive demands for their services and goods. I am seeing reports on twitter of bike shops selling out of bikes, large queues outside for parts or repairs and also bike mechanics working 6 day weeks and up to 10 hour days. It's all quite incredible!

I am noticing a lot more cyclists on the streets and they are coming in all forms. Older cyclists, younger cyclists, families, groups of boys, groups of girls - but children particularly.

Today when walking back from Ranelagh I saw a mother and her two children. One child looked about 7 and the other about 9 and they cycled up main street stopping at red lights with their mother behind them. It was a brilliant sight!

Currently people are cycling as it is safer than using public transport and additionally the streets are so much safer with less car traffic on the road. Here in Dublin the council are also upgrading cycling facilities like making a large safe cycle way along the river Liffey and putting in bollards to protect cycle lanes. All of these improvements will go along way to keeping people safe and encouraging people to continue cycling.

Long may it continue as the more people who get out and cycle the safer cyclists are. 

Here's a pic of my Dutch Bike which I sold back in February - I'm sure it's getting lots of use now in this Bike Boom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think