Sunday 26 January 2020

Cycle protest for the Liffey Cycle Route NOW!

Yesterday I picked up my electric bike from the shop (it needed a new motor). It was ideal to get it back then as I needed it for today's cycle protest which started at 11am at the Grand Canal Theatre.

Organised by Dublin Cycling Campaign and others it was held in order to highlight the need for the Liffey Cycle Route to be built immediately rather than delayed until 2024.

It was a cold day but the turn out was large with probably over 250 cyclists and others on different modes of transport - a guy beside me was on a single tire type of electric skateboard while there were two escooter riders in front of me (wearing high viz that said "You're not stuck in traffic - you are traffic"). There was individuals and families with kids (on bikes and in cargo bikes) and even dogs in baskets on bikes or being pulled in carriers.....I had planned to bring Bones who likes to sit in my panniers but I was worried it might be too cold for him.

Check out this awesome lad in his goggles!!!

We cycled from the Marker Hotel at the Grand Canal Basin all the up the Liffey to the Dublin City Council Offices and then over the bridge and back down the quays returning to the starting point.  Families went to the front and we cycled to the speed of the slowest cyclist - I did not need to turn my electrics on and I'd say no one broke a sweat.

It was really great to get out for the cycle and make our message known - but I missed my twin sister who came on past protest cycles with me....but I know she was with us in spirit from her home in Florida!

Have a read of the Irish Times coverage of the event here which includes a video. And hopefully my next blog about the Liffey Cycle Route will be good news with a plan in place to get it built NOW.

For further reading, look up #liffeycycle and #liffeycycleroute on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think