Sunday 17 November 2013

Born on the 4th of July

Watching the Tom Cruise movie "Born on the 4th of July" the other day made me glad to be born in Ireland.  

Based on the life of the now anti-war activist Ron Kovic, it's a film that makes me very sad.  The 20 something year old Kovic is played by the then 26 year old actor Tom Cruise.

This film was made in 1989 and looking at it now makes me reflect how young Tom Cruise was when the film was made and furthermore how very young all those who were sent to fight in Vietnam were. It brought tears to my eyes.

Coming from a neutral country and as a pacifist, I look at this film with thoughts of what a wasteful thing to do with the resource of all of the country's young people.

I have huge respect for all who fight for their country and for their country men and know that they are braver than I will ever be.  I also know that if we were not a neutral country and we went to war, that as a 20 year old my husband would have rushed to sign up. 

But ultimately when you see the product of war, that is young people getting killed or maimed, I feel sad sad sad.

After watching this film, I was moved to search on YouTube for the Donovan song of peace "Universal Soldier"

Have you seen this film?  What did you think of it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think