Sunday 10 April 2016

Sunday Morning Walk in Dublin

This morning we walked down to Mutt Ugly on Charlemont Street to book Bones in for a groom. It was a fairly cold morning but we made it home before it rained.

On Dartmouth Lane I saw this garage that still fixes cars but presumably stopped selling petrol a while back!






Dartmouth Lane leads out on to Dartmouth Square which is a beautiful little park surrounded by lots of graceful Victorian Redbrick houses. Click here to read the controversy that dogged the park a few years ago. I'd say the residents of the area are all glad that the park is now in the hands of Dublin City Council, Bones certainly is as he enjoys the amenities of the park regularly when he goes walking in the area!

On Friday I was in the Swan Centre and I popped in to Dubray Books for a browse. I did not plan on buying a book but I saw an interesting display of books from Apollo Classics billed as "The best books you've never read". 

I picked out "The man who loved children" by Christina Stead because I liked the Norman Rockwell picture on the cover. When I read the back I thought that it could be a good holiday read. I checked my library to see if they had a copy of it but they didn't so I bought it.....and I got a free Apollo Cloth bag too!

"The man who loved children" was originally published in 1940 but came to critical acclaim only when it was republished in 1965. Many think that it is an American novel but it was actually written and set in Australia originally.  Stead's publisher made her convert it to America for the American market.  It sounds fascinating!

I look forward to reading it and shall bring it with me on holidays to Florida next month. It's a fairly large tome I may be reading it for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think