Sunday 13 April 2014

Salt Lick pop up in Ranelagh

Salt Lick is a new restaurant in Ranelagh that is based in Hobarts on Friday and Saturday nights - a variation on a pop up restaurant, I guess.  In true hipster fashion they only take bookings through their social media on their Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr pages.  I facebooked them for a table and they fitted the two of us in for 7.30pm on Saturday night.

Salt Lick has no licence so it is both BYOB and BYOC.  You might be wondering what BYOC is!!  It's Bring Your Own Cocktail - well bring the spirits that you want to add to their delicious cocktail fixings.

I have this great wine bag that my cousin brought back from New York City for me.  In to it I put a bottle of Chateau Neuf du Pape (a young 'un - perhaps not the best choice to go with taco's) and two little baby bottles (1 of vodka the other of bourbon for Ciaran).

The food in Salt Lick is themed each month.  This month is taco month - how fun!

For starters we got bacon bites served with three sauces/dips (I will edit and put up what they are when I get home and check the menu again).  We found the bacon bites to be very salty and over fried which made them very tough.  We wouldn't be rushing to have them again.


For main there was tacos in three different varieties - lamb, pork and beef.  You could choose three so we chose all of the above.  Both of us agreed that the lamb was our favourite.  Ciaran said he would have three of the lamb if he was reordering.   Our least favourite was the beef - neither of us are a fan of horse radish (maybe we should have left it off?) 


For dessert I had the coffee milk pudding which was creamy, sweet and smooth - very tasty indeed.  

As we ordered dessert we handed over our babies and they made us a Moscow Mule with the vodka and an Old Fashioned with the bourbon.  Both were quite delicious and a lovely finish to our evening in Salt Lick.

Our bill for all of the above came to a very reasonable €51.  

7 comments:

  1. Wow, we have tacos frequently... but I have NEVER had a lamb taco! I would love to try these. I have only just come to like horseradish "in my old age" but never, ever, have I had it on a taco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the restaurant was truly hipster, it's amazing that you were able to get a reservation for 7:30 only two days before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that name....Salt Lick....I thought the bread pudding looked the best, of course

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think