Sunday 31 January 2021

Where I get my news in Malaga

News - where I get it from

Sur in English being read in bed with a cup of coffee in a Pigsy mug

As you can see from my past blog posts, we were anticipating that there would be a lockdown here in Malaga if the Covid numbers continued to rise and went above a particular point. This did not come to pass as anticipated and numbers are starting to go down marginally here in Malaga over the last few days. Hopefully this will continue.

There are a number of ways in which I get my news here in Malaga. With the whole Covid situation it is particularly important to have up to date info and sometimes I find that Twitter is best for instant info. Along with using Twitter I also go to the El Pais in English website and also the Sur in English website as well as picking up the hard copy of the Sur in English newspaper on Fridays. I pick up my Sur from the Tourist Office on Constitution Plaza.

Sur in English

Here's some pics of this weeks Sur in English. It's a great free weekly newspaper and I've highlighted some of the parts that I find particularly useful.

As well as news articles there is a variety of lifestyle articles including "What happened today?". This week's article features the date of 29th of January 1999 where a Valazquez art work sold for a record sum. Along with an interesting article, there is something further where the journalist pulls out some words from the article and translates them in to Spanish in a useful "Language Footnote".
Malaga news in Sur in English
Here's this week's "Language Footnote" which are actually really relevant for us given the work that PIGSY is doing here in Spain along with the work that I am doing promoting him, his art and his brand!
As you can see the Spanish words all relate to art which relate back to the article on the Velazquez article.

Language footnote in Costa del Sol newspaper

Language Crossword 


And then at the back of the paper is a crossword which is actually bilingual, in that you answer the clues in the Spanish language. Some of the words that turn up in this crossword are words from the "Language Footnote" which is helpful for learning new vocabulary. See One Down, for example, which is looking for the Spanish word for Painting, which is obviously "Pintura" as noted in the Language Footnote. I think this is a great fun way to add to my language learning here in Spain.
Spanish answers to language crossword in Sur in EnglishLAnguage crossword in Sur in English

Event Listings

Further to all of the above, the Sur in English also prints full listings of all of the cultural events that are taking place in Malaga and we use this to plan ahead for the week and to take in some of the art that is on show in the city. 

I rate the Sur highly - it's a quality newspaper and they even have published articles about PIGSY which is a good indicator of what type of news outlet they are :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think