Saturday 22 August 2020

Russian Salad - a new one on me!

While we are enjoying our new surroundings of Malaga and discovering new food and drinks (Hello Aperol Spritz), we seem very removed from the goings on in Ireland with things like Golfgate and BerlinD2 parties. And so while we are in Spain, with Covid numbers on the increase, my twin sister is in Florida anticipating the arrival of two tropical storms of which one might become a hurricane. 2020 is quite the year and along with Covid a double tropical storm hit could be disastrous for Florida. 

In some ways I am not surprised that numbers are increasing in Spain and, to my mind, it looks very much like a second wave is happening. On arrival a few weeks back I felt very safe and secure to see everyone wearing obligatory masks. However, the longer I am here I am beginning to see examples of very poor social distancing. Back home in Ireland, numbers were restricted in supermarkets while that does not seem to be the case here at this time. Additionally Irish people stood apart on 2 metre markings while queuing to go in to places. Here there seems to be no marked out spots for when queuing which leads me to wonder if the masks are giving everyone a false confidence and making them feel that social distancing is not necessary.  On the other hand, most restaurants have outdoor tables available which seems like a safer option than eating inside and many restaurants have extended their outside eating spaces and are taking up spaces in the public realm or in front of closed up shops, which allows for spacing out the tables. This seems sensible to me.

Speaking of restaurants and eating brings me on to the subject of this blog post.  Russian Salad!

Have you heard about it? It's a new one on me and I love it.

We were introduced to it by a French guy who Ciaran played padel with. He gave all of the players a container full of Russian Salad that was left over from a party that he had held. We enjoyed the salad with Iberian Ham that night and to say it was an instant hit is an understatement.

It's like a mixture of potato salad and tuna salad and from googling it seems to be a traditional Spanish staple.

Our favourite place to order Russian Salad is in Casa Lola where we have visited a few times (this place is our current no. 1 go to tapas spot in Malaga) and we now sit at the bar and order a few tapas with a glass of wine and beer.

Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of Russian Salad but here is a few pics of some other tapas that we have enjoyed in Casa Lolas.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think