Wednesday 3 April 2013

Word of the day: Popover

What's a "Popover"?, you might ask, if you are English or Irish.....

Last night I heard that a Popover is an American food item that is something similar to a Yorkshire Pudding and is served with roast beef.  One difference I can see is that the fat from the beef is put in to the baking pan when making Yorkshire Puddings.  This causes a dip to develop in the pudding - perfect for loading beef & gravy in to!

Another difference is that it seems the popover can be served alongside sweet accompaniments.  The Yorkshire pudding is only ever served with savouries.

I quite like the word "Popover"........I think I will call my Yorkshire Puddings (from the freezer) popovers!

3 comments:

  1. I've never had popovers nor Yorkshire puddings. Are they like bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AI,

    They are hard to describe but are definitely not like bread. They are air filled puffs of cooked batter. They add to your meal......but I don't think you would eat them on their own as they are quite plain.

    You might try to make them!!

    Enie

    Ps. Thanks for following my sisters blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for the recipe of your own "popover" Yorkshires!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think