Sunday 11 August 2013

Chicken wings on a date?

Last night we went for a nice meal in the Canal Bank Cafe. This restaurant is a sister restaurant to TriBeCa in Ranelagh.  

TriBeCa is well known around these parts for their chicken wings and they also had them on the Canal Bank menu. Personally I am not a fan of their wings as they are covered in hot sauce and I prefer BBQ sauce covered wings.  The wings are good value though.  A huge basket for €13.99 and certainly enough for two.

While I was out last night I got to thinking about "date food".  It's commonly known that it is not entirely advisable to eat such food as spaghetti bolgnaise while on a date as there is too much of a risk of looking messy and splashing sauce on your face or down your front.

I've never really thought too much about chicken wings until I saw a couple order a basket to split last night.  Oh dear, I think wings are not a good idea for date food when you aren't fully comfortable with your date.  The couple (more so the girl) looked awkward and uncomfortable picking up the wings and chewing on them.  Sometimes to avoid putting the wing in her mouth and chewing off the meat (which is how we all generally eat wings) she picked off the chicken meat off the bone with her fingers.  She was then left with dripping sauce all over her fingers which she was constantly wiping and tried to clean with her napkin - I bet she just wanted to lick her fingers!!!

So readers what do you think, are wings advisable on a date??!!  Or is there any food that you don't think is a good idea to order when on a date?

Btw, here's what we had last night for dinner.

Hummus & pitta bread to start (we shared this)


Fish & chips for Ciaran 

Rib eye for me

Washed down by a bottle of Bordeaux.

The restaurant is a short walk away from us - about 5 mins walk so we were home by about 11.30pm.  We booked a table at short notice so only could get a 9.30pm sitting for dinner.  As I mentioned before we are like Seniors and prefer to eat early - about 7pm.


1 comment:

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think