Wednesday 14 May 2014

No shampoo alternative

Every so often I break out my inner hippy and quit shampoo for awhile.  Instead of using shampoo and conditioner, I head to my kitchen larder and retrieve the bread soda* (baking soda) and vinegar.

To make the "no-shampoo shampoo" I mix water and baking soda.  I make a paste that I rub in to my roots.  I don't use it on the lengths of my hair as I think it would be too abrasive.  After rinsing the baking soda out of my hair, I condition it by rinsing with watered down vinegar.  

I've very oily hair that gets greasy very quickly so I find this natural hair cleaner to be very effective. It leaves my hair super soft and squeaky clean.  

I believe that you can also make a "honey shampoo" by melting a spoonful of honey into water. I might give this a try!

Do you use any natural alternative to shampoo?  What do you think of this method?

*Bread soda is the Irish name for Baking soda

3 comments:

  1. I gave up shampoo in early 2007 and don't think I'll ever go back. Never used bread soda but for the adjustment period when I first stopped using shampoo, I did use porridge oats to dry rub my hair. Cut down on the greasiness and smelled lovely. I used diluted cider vinegar every few months as a conditioning rinse, too. Over here in Germany the water is so hard that I use the vinegar rinse every week to avoid a build-up of lime-scaly white stuff. I wrote an update on it last year, actually, and there's a link in that post to a great discussion on going no-'poo if you're interested. http://livingthesimplelifeiwant.blogspot.de/2013/04/shampoo.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up all shampoo, soap, and deodorant. It's great and saves me money. The only problem is that I don't seem to have as many friends as I did before.....I wonder why???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still heavily addicted to shampoo. I don't know if I could ever give it up.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think