Thursday 26 December 2013

Getting active while on hols

For the first time in my life I tried SUP - Stand Up Paddleboard.  What fun! 


It's a quiet sport that is very relaxing.  I tried it in the man made lake in our resort.  I'd say it is amazing in the clear blue seas of the Florida Keys where I intend to do it next in June in Key West.

I also tried out Kayaking while in Sandos San Blas in Tenerife.

Again it's a sport that is very relaxing.  Some people like to paddle vigorously. I like to take it slow.  My twin sister and her husband are involved in kayaking back home in Ireland - I can see its appeal!

My favourite activity while in Tenerife was the 2 hr tour of the San Blas Nature Resort.  The scenery was spectacular and I enjoyed hearing about the history and culture if the area.

From time to time actors appeared and acted out scenes from different periods.

Here is an early settler on the island.  He would have been a cave dweller who lived on fish from the ocean.

Many crops have been grown in San Blas including cereals and tobacco but it is the tomato that has been the most fruitful crop over the years.

The above actor explains how the tomatoes are graded.

The next actor tells of how she sells the fish her husband catches to those who live in villages away from the sea - after her husband catches the fish she walks from midnight to dawn to sell the fish.  On her return home she cooks lunch for her family with the produce she has bartered her fish for.

The nature resort has a very impressive interpretative centre which is well worth a visit. We were ably guided by the very friendly Arturo and had a most enjoyable tour!

The above pic is of the man made dam.

The tour of the San Blas Nature Resort is available to all guests of the Sandos Hotel for €7.50 and it is most definitely recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think