Wednesday 10 February 2016

Brass Ironmongery - Before and After

We got a new front door fitted last week (pics to follow when it is painted). 

As well as getting the new door we planned on fitting new brass ironmongery to the door. I visited "Knobs & Knockers" in Dublin City in order to buy a new door knob, door knocker, letter box as the old ones on our front door were very badly tarnished after years of neglect.  See the picture on the red door - this is how our door knocker looked.



In the shop, I showed the old knocker and said I was looking for something similar. When the shop assistant saw it, he said I would be mad to replace it, that "it was an old Dublin knocker" and that he would give me the name of a company who would re-polish it.

So in the heel of the hunt, I bought a new bell, new numbers and a new postbox (we are not using the letter box for post to prevent draughts) from Knobs and Knockers. We then sent the knob, knocker and letter box off to be re-polished.

Look at the results!!


The company we used to polish the brass was James Healy Ltd in JFK Industrial Estate in Bluebell, Dublin 12. 

I'm glad to have a before and after picture as the difference is fairly substantial.

3 comments:

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think