Sunday 28 February 2016

Election Count Day

After dropping her husband off at the airport (he's gone on a ski trip with friends) Amy called to me just before 9am. She brought me a lovely gift of a pack of limited edition nespresso pods (look at the great colour - so pretty!). We straightaway made Baileys coffees and then set about making breakfast.




For breakfast we had scrambled eggs made with this bottle of O'Egg liquid egg that I had bought in Supervalu the day before. It is super convenient and I shall purchase again!



We spent the morning eating brunch and drinking vodka OJ's watching the election count. But it turned out to be a long time before results started coming through. In my sister's constituency, it was about 11pm before the Tanaiste (Sub Prime Minister) won back her seat by a tight margin. My constituency only elected someone today on the 7th count!!

We vote by Single Transferable Vote (or Proportional Representation) here in Ireland which is quite complex and counts are lengthy. Click here to read all about how our system works. I think Malta is the only other place in the world who uses this system.  Although quite complicated it is a brilliant system and it can mean that there can be really exciting moments throughout the count.



And today as the dust settles and the TD's are being elected we are beginning to see that no one party has a clear majority. It looks like a government will have to be cobbled together.....but I have to question what parties will work together.

.......We could be back at the polls in 6 months time.

1 comment:

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think