Wednesday 4 March 2015

Rathmines Post Office

Needed to get a small packet in the post this morning so I visited Rathmines Post Office before work.

I like the post office in Rathmines - it was built in 1934 and it's got an old atmospheric feeling in it.  Oh and it also has a Starbucks close by so I knew I could go for a coffee after I got my package in the post.


As you enter in the door there is a name plate to the left of the post office.  The Irish version is written in the old Irish alphabet.



They have slotted in a modern stamp vending machine in the space where presumably an older stamp vending machine used to be.

This is what it looks like inside.  It had old features that are sort of masked by the modern fixings needed to operate the post office such as the security screens on the counter.

The front door is great!


And  I noticed this funky looking vent cover.

Outside there are two postboxes - green of course!!


I blogged about the Rathmines Post Office before - click here to see what the external building looks like.

4 comments:

  1. are all mail boxes green in Ireland then? I am used to red ones in England?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have blue boxes in the USA. We don't have security screens like that, just an open counter. I'm surprised they allowed you to take all those photographs inside, even of a vent. Looks like you are planning a heist.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think