Sunday 15 March 2015

San Lorenzo's, George's Street - Dublin, Ireland

Last night we went to San Lorenzo's on George's Street.  I had been looking forward to going here for awhile.  We were able to get a 9pm reservation so our friends called for a drink in our house beforehand.

I loved the setting of the restaurant - it was very minimalist with plywood walls and also bare walls painted with funky designs.  

Food wise we split two starters between us and then had a main each.

Here's duck liver crostini - I thought this was intensely delish!


Gambas on bread that was soaked in the most amazing flavourful garlic oil.


I had a Delmonico steak (10oz) that I thought was very tasty but way overpriced at €38.

The others had meatballs, duck and also a 10oz Hereford steak. 

I had a great night.  Our friends are extremely sociable and tell the most amazing stories.  

One of the stories was how my friend upped off to go work and travel in Spain and France when she was 17.  She ran out of money at one point and rang her Dad to get him to send some money to her so she could continue her travels.  Her Dad refused to send her money to continue her travels but said he would send money to buy a ticket home.  They got tickets to Gatwick in London but when they arrived they were unable to cash a cheque that one of the other girls had got from her parents as the banks were closed.

They really needed to get to Heathrow airport where there was an Aer Lingus desk that would cash the cheque and they could fly home from there but unfortunately they didn't have any cash to get from Gatwick to Heathrow.

Not knowing what to do my friend saw a policeman (an English Bobby!) and went over and explained their situation.  He felt sorry for them and gave them £20 from his wallet and told them to buy tickets and a sandwich.  

My friend took his name and address and when she got home her dad sent the money back to him.  Her dad also wrote to the Gay Byrne Radio Show and told the story of the kind policeman and of course it was read out on the radio!

I loved this story!!


Even though there were only three of us drinking we still managed to get through 2 bottles of wine - probably a little more than I would usually drink but it was so nice and we chatted in the restaurant until about 12.45pm which was nice - I liked the way they didn't rush us out but instead cleaned around us.



A chocolate pot was ordered and we all had a taste of it.  Very heavy and very good!

All in all I liked San Lorenzo's ALOT - the others perhaps didn't like it as much.  I did think it is a bit overpriced and although very hipster it seemed to be trying too hard.  The food was very good and I'd certainly return again.  We were lucky though as it was definitely the company that helped us have a really great night!

2 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: very appetizing. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha that's a great story. What bold girls doing that at 17 though!!!!!!! eeeek!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think