Thursday 21 January 2016

"Road House" with Patrick Swayzee

I remember trailers for "Road House" back in the late 1980's (it was after Swayze's success in Dirty Dancing) and always thought I would like to watch it. As far as I recall, it was an 18's certificate when it was in the cinema and also when it made it to video (I seem to remember it in the section of the video shop that we never borrowed from!)

You may not know this about me but I was brought up in a home without a TV as my parents didn't agree with them. In order to see popular programmes of the time such as "Blossom" my twin sister and I would always call to our best friends house after school on a Friday to catch it at 6pm.  

On Saturday nights, we had a regular babysitting job minding our young cousins. We were paid a nominal amount plus a video of our choice paid for by our aunt. We would walk to our aunt's house which was about 20 minutes away and on the way would stop off at the video shop which was in the local newsagent.....no fancy Extravision for us!  Good times!!

But anyway back to Road House. It was on MGM tonight and there wasn't anything else on so I decided to watch it. What a film! Absolutely terrible.......but very watchable.  Not only does it star one of my favourite actors Patrick Swayze but also Sam Elliot - minus the moustache unfortunately but still very hot!....the lack of moustache is made up for by the length of his hair.

It's very of its time - particularly when you see Swayze smoking for what seems like real in many of the scenes. The clothes are what seems to have dated the most while on the other hand the music hasn't really and is generally fairly good. Some of the special effects are pretty fake looking too (if you've seen the film you probably know what scene I'm talking about). But overall it's not a bad film if you are in the mood for this type of thing.

If you've watched this movie, do let me know!  



1 comment:

  1. we have become accustomed to digital enhancements, sophisticated art, editing, make-up . . we are no longer easily shocked - so, i am often surprised at the innocence in film from last century . . . I only vaguely remember "Road House" - maybe I'll have to watch it again. now that you've reminded me . . . happy day!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think