Saturday 9 January 2016

Planning for Key West

I got two travel guides today (thanks to my super public library!) in order to make plans for my Key West holiday.

I've visited lots of times so on this trip I'd like to try visit places that I have never been.


Kino's Sandals have been in Key West since 1966 and make custom leather sandals. I have visited before and I intend to go back. I bought a pair of sandals that were the most comfortable sandals I have ever worn! And look at the prices....so cheap!


Key Lime Pie - I definitely want to have a slice!
In one of the books there is a list of all the places that sell Key Lime Pie. They include Kermits, Blue Heaven, Rooftop Cafe and also the Key Lime and Coconut Factory. The Blue Heaven version is smoothered in meringue which sounds divine.


Here are a few other places of interest that I intend to check out

Casa Antigua
Where Hemmingway lived for awhile when he was waiting for his car to be delivered to Key West. It costs $2 to visit or free if you spend more that $10 in the Pelican Poope gift shop.

Key West Aquarium
Built in 1934. Was originally open air but is now covered in.
Entrance fee is $15

Shipwreck Museum
Described as kitchy in my guide book I think it sounds fun!
Also costs $15 

Curry Mansion
$5 to visit and you get to see the house and also a Frank Lloyd Wright designed light fitting. Awesome!

Key West Turtle Museum
How did I never hear about this place? 
No entry fee, a donation is asked for. It seems to be open from 12-4pm, Tues - Sat. 
Sounds very interesting.

The Key West Business Guild showcases a large collection of Tennessee Williams memorabilia. He lived at 1431 Duncan Street and although it is not open to the public I may take a cycle to have a look at it.

There is lots lots more places of interest listed in my books including places to eat but for the moment all of the above sounds good! 


2 comments:

  1. Oh I want to go to the Curry House!

    Is Pelican Poope shop still open??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Just around the corner from Curry Mansion ;-)

      Delete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think