Saturday 30 January 2016

Rock of Ages Stage Costume

My younger sister is a member of a musical society that is performing "Rock of Ages" in March. 

She is an amazing singer and dancer and has been cast as a waitress in the show. For her costume she is wearing denim cutoff shorts and a vest top. I offered to make her a waitress's apron and set about doing it today.

I decided to hack a cloth bag to make the apron.





I cut the straps off the bag and resewed them on to use as the belt for the apron. I also sewed up the bag in half to make a short apron.

After lunch we went to Evans Art Supply shop to get some fabric paint and stencils. I also bought some jewel sequins.


Katie is performing as a waitress who works in the "Bourbon Room" so I stenciled the name of the bar on to the apron.


Finally I added the sequins. Large ones along the trim to look like metal studs. I then drew a bolt of lightning on the apron and filled it with tiny sequins and then outlined it in black fabric paint.

Here's the finished product (you can see my trusty glue gun in the bottom of the picture). Next time I post a pic of the apron will be when Katie is in full costume and ready to rock!!!


2 comments:

  1. Great idea using the cloth bag! I would not have filled in the stencils though think it looks more 80's :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think