Sunday 31 January 2016

Cinema Sunday: Spotlight

After getting up late we rushed to the cinema to see Spotlight. We arrived 20 minutes after the advertised start time so knew we had missed the trailers and possibly even the start of the film. Luckily, however, the last trailer was being shown as we entered the cinema and after one ad the film began. Perfect timing!

It's an incredible film. It's not overly sentimental or mawkish and focuses on the hard work of the journalists in the "Spotlight" Team in the Boston Globe.

There were two points when I was moved to tears. The first time when Mark Ruffalo had an outburst were he spoke passionately for about a minute -the mention of the victims made me tear up. Then at the end I was brought to tears when the places where abuse were listed at the end of the movie. The first name places were all in the USA but then the listing of worldwide locations started. I saw three places in Ireland listed but there may have been more that I missed. Horrific to see it on the big screen.

This is a must see film. Do let me know if you have seen in it or whether you will go.

I also felt it was ironic that we watched this film in a packed cinema at 11.30am on a Sunday morning. Twenty years ago, the audience would probably have been in Church and not in a cinema. I think this says a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think