Monday 27 May 2013

Feeling nostalgic

A 1 litre of fresh milk in a glass bottle by Adare Farm

Glass bottles were phased out in the 1980/90's in Dublin.  Deliveries used to be done by the milkman who would leave fresh bottles of milk and remove the empties.  As supermarkets began to open earlier and close later - as well as stay open on Sundays the role of the milkman became defunct.  Milk also began to be sold in cartons (tetra pak to start with) which I presume was more cost effective.

Adare Farm have just started selling milk in glass bottles again in certain shops.  When I saw it on the shelf in Superquinn Ranelagh I had to buy it!  The milk looks so good - so tasty and fresh looking.  It's also way colder than milk from the carton.  

Although more expensive, I think it is worth it.

What way is your milk sold?  Glass, carton or plastic bottle?

1 comment:

  1. When I was small I used to hate milk on its own (still do) and so my parents would have small bottles of milk delivered every morning. Even though I didn't like milk, I do remember the bottled kind tasting much tastier (and colder!) than the kind in cartons. The bottles we used to get weren't large like yours, they were about 200ml each.

    Your photo brings back so many memories of my childhood :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think