Sunday 16 February 2014

Brother Hubbards, Capel Street

We had a great Sunday!
 
We started with breakfast in Brother Hubbards on Capel Street (upon a recommendation from a work colleague).  I really wanted to like this place - it has got great reviews in the papers and is turning in to a bloggers favourite. 
 
The minute we got the menu we were at a loss.  It was hard to see any options that were low carb high fat.  We ordered short Americanos while considering the menu further (we brought our own cream for our coffee).  Eventually I chose the Breakfast of Champignons and Ciaran chose the Greek Style Omelette (leaving out the olives).  We both left off the bread.
 
 
The food was good but the setting wasn't at all comfortable for brunch.  We were seated in the middle of the floor on stools at a tiny table.  I had brought along the papers but we couldn't read them.  All we could do was eat and run.  Really quite unsatisfying for a Sunday morning.  Ciaran was most unhappy I think.  After being in Belfast from Friday to Saturday he had really wanted a chilled out brunch on Sunday.  He says he is choosing where we go next Sunday!!


The bill for our breakfast came to €23.  Yesterday, two breakfasts in The Fumbally was €16.  I think Brother Hubbards is about 30% over priced.  Sadly we won't be back.  Although the food would probably be good for dinner, I just couldn't see us enjoying the setting over a bottle of wine.   
 
After breakfast we called to Ciaran's parents and then on to my mother.  My mother showed us the huge tree that blew over in her garden during last weeks storm!!
 
Later we went to the 6pm show of the really excellent "12 years a slave".  Wow what a film!  I won't be surprised if it wins best picture in the Oscars.   
 
And then finally I sat down to blog while watching my guilty pleasure - the Duggars in 19 Kids and Counting!!!  (Oh dear!)
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your experience was disappointing! At least you know not to go back there for brunch again!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think