Thursday 30 April 2020

Bike to Work - Brompton Style

On Weds I was due in the office for an 8am start. 

The night before work I decided I would do a combo cycle-train journey on Ciaran's Brompton bike. 

In order to get to work on time I got up about 6.50am, made myself a coffee which I tucked in to the bag that I clipped on to the front of the bike and tucked my handbag beside the cup to keep it up straight (even though the lid could close over). *Note to self, I need to order a cupholder!
 After that I set off and did the short cycle to Sandymount Dart Station where I pushed the bike in to the station, took the coffee out of the bike and then waited for the train. The train arrived in less than 10 mins and then I again pushed the bike on without folding it. On the train I just swung the back wheel under the bike in order for it to stand. There was about 4 people in the carriage so there was no need to fold the bike.

When I arrived at my destination I got off the train and then rather than waiting to get the lift (which I normally do with my electric bike) I simply just picked the bike up and carried it up the stairs - it really is light enough to do that!

I arrived in to work with plenty of time to spare at about 7.45am or so.
And on the return journey I did pretty much the same thing, except that I took the lift down the stairs and then stayed on the Dart until Landsdowne and cycling home via Baggot Street.
What can I say I am a Brompton fan! I loved it.
OK so they look a little weird but honestly I don't care because they are just so very smart and userfriendly. They are also a lot of fun - possibly the most fun bike I've been on. Even though it started to rain on me on the way home, I didn't care because I was enjoying the cycle so much. 
If you are thinking of getting one for city commuting I would definitely encourage you. Go for it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think