Tuesday 7 April 2020

Emergency Vet Visit

Trust Bones to need a vet visit during a pandemic!

The other day when I was brushing Bones hair near his face I noticed that he winced. This happened again yesterday and once again I noticed that he did it again today.  

So I knew something was up and started investigating. Ciaran picked him up and I had a look in his mouth. Straightaway I saw a growth of some kind and reckoned he needed to go to the vet.

I rang our vet to see if they were open. Normally they don't operate an appointment system but they gave me an appointment time of 6.10pm and instructed me to ring the clinic from outside when I arrived.

So I popped Bones on the lead and walked down to Charlemont Street which is about 15 minutes away. 

When I arrived, I rang to let them know I was outside. They asked me a few more questions and said there were a few patients ahead of me but they would take Bones in when it was his turn.

There were people waiting with pets in cars and the vet staff came out and took different animals in and dropped animals back out to their humans with instructions on how to care for their pets and how to give them their medications, etc. The staff were decked out in full PPE.

And then it was Bones turn. He was in for about 10 mins when I got a phone call from the vet who explained what had been found and what she recommended.  Basically he has what she thinks is a benign growth that needs to be removed and sent off for analysis and at the same time as doing this she will clean his teeth and remove any bad ones (I'm not surprised by this - his teeth are dire) along with removing a cyst from under his chin. While I was on the phone, she looked up the diary and booked him in to be operated on tomorrow at 10am.

I am in the office doing essential work tomorrow (answering the Community Call Line) so Ciaran will take him down to the clinic for his op (he needs to fast from midnight).

From my description of how the consultation was handled, you can see how the vet practise was adhering to social distancing.
Along with the usual Covid19 signage in the window there was instructions on what to do on arrival.
While we waited outside, Bones pulled on the lead as if to say "C'mon Enid, we don't need to go in there!"
 

I love this retro sign on the Vet clinic!

Bones is in good hands.  I'll let you know how the op goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think