Tuesday 9 February 2021

What I've been watching....

I recommend....

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

So somehow I missed the buzz about Mrs Maisel and happily when I got around to watching it there were 3 seasons built up for me to binge watch. Unfortunately the 4th season is now currently delayed due to Covid but still at least it is on the cards and I will eventually get to see how it all works out for Mrs Maisel on the comedy circuit starting in Greenwich Village.
Created by Amy Sherman-Palladino (Gilmore Girls) the series introduced me to how a 1950's Jewish Family lived. Charismatic Midge Maisel seems to have it all - a nice home, husband, two children(boy and a girl) and doting parents who live in the same building and seem to take on a huge part of the childcare burden for Midge. I can't help compare how Irish people were living at the same time as Midge and marvel at her super stylish wardrobe (seriously how much clothes does one person need) along with her lifestyle (taxis and having a fridge freezer being the norm). Let's just say 1950's middle class Ireland looks years apart from Midge's set up....and not in a good way. Even while queuing for meat (to entertain the Rabbi) Midge's style and glamour is apparent. But it is not her style and glamour that is her appeal - it is also her charm and knowledge of how things must be socially - but once she gets on the comedy stage we are exposed to her full personality and wit and that's where it all takes off and Midge goes on a different course from being a traditional Jewish housewife. It's definitely worth watching.....but be aware that it does not all go entirely smoothly as unfortunately Midge says it how it is and sometimes just doesn't know when to stop. 

As an add on I was fascinated to see the whole family encamp to some place in the Catskills for the Summer - pretty much exactly like Dirty Dancing, which of course you know from reading this blog that I am a big fan. I never really understood the whole thing in Dirty Dancing about the sister nearly in tears over not bringing more shoes with her to the holiday camp, but after seeing Midge and her mother pack for their trip I am beginning to understand. The didn't do anything by half in the 50's it seems, and I guess there were multiple costume changes needed during the day depending on whatever activity one got up to!

Late Night

I happened upon "Late night" starring Emma Thompson and found it to be a very watchable film. In recent times, I have started so many movies and then switched them off after awhile for various reasons. But this one was good in my opinion. Starring Emma Thompson as a Late Night Talk Show host at the top of her game but probably hitting the point where someone new is going to swoop in and take her job, she hires a new show writer (Mindy Kaling) to invigorate the show. It's not a laugh a minute film - I wonder is it even a comedy, but it is definitely entertaining.  I highly recommend it!
It's worth a watch for Emma Thompson's hairstyle alone!!


Grand Hotel

And the final thing I have been watching is Grand Hotel. or Gran Hotel in Spanish.  
Groan.....it's so bad and the only reason I've stayed watching it is I am looking at it in Spanish along with Spanish subtitles in order to improve my Spanish. But honestly it is just so terrible with hard to follow over the top ridiculous storylines (but maybe I am finding it hard to follow because of my poor Spanish) and laughable dramatic music. Just bad, bad.
I've watching 8 programmes so far, but I don't think I can go any further.


Let me know what you are watching these days and whether you recommend it. Leave a comment below!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think