Wednesday 17 February 2021

Back on the Keto train!

Back on Keto!

From reading my blog you probably know that I have been on and off eating low carb since about 2014 give or take. When I first arrived in Spain I found it really easy to be on keto.  I was eating lots of lovely spanish cheese, chorizo and meat. Unfortunately I began to eat all of the other lovely Spanish food including the carby Russian Salad and gorgeous rustic Malaga bread (kind of a cross between brown and white bread). Eating keto got away from me and suddenly everything was back on the menu - and I ate it all!

Sleep

However, I've been beginning to feel like I wanted a change and that I wanted to get back on to keto. I wasn't sleeping aswell as I used to which I put down to all of the sugar I was consuming late at night after dinner. I should clarify that for me sleeping badly is when I don't get my 8hrs of sleep. Eating late as night meant that I was going to bed later because I was buzzing and so probably only going to sleep after midnight which is way too late for me. I work best with about 8.5 or 9 hrs sleep.

So I set a date of returning to keto after Valentine's Day.

For a few days I've been watching keto videos on youtube to get psyched up for getting back on the wagon. I found a few new people on youtube that seem to be worth a watch - Dr Bosworth and Steve of Serious Keto  (check out this video series) along with my old favourites of Keto Connect and Dr Berg and also Flavacity.  Let me know if you watch any of them.

And so it was back to meal planning and organising things along with looking up some of the recipes that I love.

Yesterday I made my keto cauliflower mac and cheese replacement, which I named "Mock and Cheese". Lol!

Keto Cauliflower & Cheese aka "Mock & Cheese"

Here's the pics of it being made

The first thing I did, which I had never done before, was that I roasted the cauliflower in the oven before I added it to the cheese mix

To start the cheese mix I melted butter and added a bit of chicken stock (the chicken stock was also a new addition for this recipe - I had it in the fridge leftover from the Valentines Day fondant potatoes)
Here's some of the items that went in to the cheese mix - a lot of cheese including cheddar, emmental and cream cheese along with the above butter and also cooking cream. 

So the gist of how to make the "Mock and Cheese" is you make up a creamy cheesy fatty sauce and then add in the roasted cauliflower. I also added a little cayenne pepper on top just to pretty it up.


Cheesy keto cauliflower




Served up with meatballs (to which I added grated cheese) this cheesy cauli dish is the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think