Friday 10 January 2014

It's Friday!!

Wow this week has been tiring!  I hope it is due to the fact that it was my first full week back in work after the Christmas Break.  

I am back in Swords for a meeting this morning and then in Blanchardstown for the afternoon.  My drive this morning took me past the National Conference Centre. I took the below photo of it as I was stopped on the new bridge over the Liffey.  I'm unsure of this bridges name - I just call it the new bridge.  In fact I don't think I know the names of any of the other bridges except the walkable Ha'penny Bridge (so named because it used to cost a Half Penny to cross!) and also Millennium Bridge

Currently there are issues with the Ha'penny bridge - damage is being caused by people attaching "Love Locks" to it. Along with damage, it costs Dublin City Council a lot of money to remove the locks.

Have you heard of "Love Locks"? They are currently the scourge of many European Cities.  The concept is that a couple buys a padlock, writes their names on it, locks it to a landmark bridge and then they throw away the key.  Cute concept perhaps - but not when it destroys heritage sites.  Maybe the council should provide a particular site for these love locks to be attached to???
 
Next time I am in the city I may take a stroll down to the Ha'Penny Bridge and take a few photos of the bridge and maybe a few locks if I can spot them.
 
I had a little time before my meeting so I went to Starbucks in the Pavillions Shopping Centre.

I bring my own cream to Starbucks - is that weird???
I can't use their cream because they add a vanilla sugar flavoring and I am not consuming sugar these days (I'm substituting fat for sugar to aid weight loss!)


2 comments:

  1. How about a pic of a love lock????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered about the locks I see everywhere. It is a cute idea, but you're right maybe they could be given a special place.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think