Sunday 13 March 2016

Road Trip to Athlone

The IQ was packed up and my twin sister, cousin and I all set off for Athlone yesterday. We had tickets to see my younger sister perform in the musical "Rock of Ages" (which just happens to be my very favourite musical - having seen it in London & Dublin!)



We took it easy getting down to Athlone, stopping off for food and coffees in the first Applegreen that we found.



After checking in to our accommodation (above Murphy's Law pub) we went for a walk to Athlone town. It was great to see the Shannon. It's very scenic and it was a fairly mild day.



I climbed down the bank of the river and went out on this old decking to get close to the water. Both Kasey and Amy thought I was mad but I found it fun!



Here Amy and I are on the bridge over the Shannon on the way back to Murphy's Law for some food.


As we were going back to Murphy's we got a text from our mother to say our Dad and sister were in Sean's Bar so we called in for a drink with them.

Sean's Bar is a real traditional Irish pub and it is also the oldest pub in Ireland!


From Sean's we then went back to Murphy's where we got food.  I had been craving a burger and a glass of red wine so this is what I ordered with barely a glance at the menu. Amy ordered hot wings which came with a warning that they weren't allowed to be ordered by children. Then when the wings were brought to the table the server warned her to make sure she washed her hands before she touched her eyes!! She loves hot food and enjoyed them - but said they weren't that hot at all!!

After the food we got changed and made our way to see the show which was amazing. Check out my next blog for photos, etc.

Breakfast was included in our room booking and we all ordered a full Irish fry the next morning. We all agreed you can't beat a full Irish for brekkie!

We washed our full Irish's down with white coffees and then got back on the road to Dublin.

All in a fun road trip out of the capital!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Let me know what you think